The following permits are required in the City of Covina. Please fill out the appropriate permit form(s) and return to Engineering at 125 E College Street with required payment and documenation.
Street / Road Closure Permit Form
Overload / Moving Permit Form
Highway Construction Permit Form
The following activities require an encroachment permit be obtained from the Enginering Section:
- Construction – Any type of construction work within the City public right of way, such as temporary storage of construction materials or sidewalk closure requires an encroachment permit.
- Dumpster - Owners or contractors must apply for an Encroachment Permit before installing a trash dumpster on the public right-of-way.
- Street Improvements - All work done in connection with street improvements, including but not limited to driveway construction, sidewalk construction, handicapped ramp construction, street light installation, traffic signal installation, landscaping, paving, sewer main installation/replacement, curb and gutter construction and storm drain installation/replacement.
- Sewer Connection - Installation of sewer laterals, or any work to be done related to sewer connection, including trenching, traffic delineation, backfilling and compaction.
- Utilities - A utility company/contractor intended to do work on the public right-of-way must obtain an Encroachment Permit.
- Street Closure - Temporary closure of a public street for runs, races, fairs, or parades requires an Encroachment Permit. All applicants must submit the necessary insurance, petitioned signatures, license, and the Encroachment Application at least 30 days prior to the event. Temporary closure of a public street (one day) for construction will also require the contractor to submit the necessary insurance and approved traffic control plan.
Encroachment Permit Form
Please fill out the necessary form(s), attach insurance documents with a copy of a City Business license, and return to the Engineering counter at City Hall, 125 E College Street, Covina, CA 91723. Appropriate fees apply and must be paid prior to permit issuance.
Please Note: All work in the public right-of-way requires a permit to be obtained by a State licensed contractor. All work is to be done per the approved City of Covina or “Greenbook” Standards. Proof of City-approved insurance must also be provided.
Permit Issuance Requirements
Following are the minimum requirements to obtain the permit. Contractors applying for a permit must possess a valid City business license, and the required City-approved insurance. The Covina business license and insurance must be valid for at least thirty days after the completion date of work.
City Business License
City business license can be obtained at the Finance Counter, located at 125 East College Street, Covina.
• General Liability Insurance
• Two million dollars ($2,000,000) contractors and ($200,000) for homeowners per occurrences.
• The certificate must be original and bear the wet signature of the insurance agent.
• The business street address (no P.O.Box) and telephone number of the insurer must be provided.
• The endorsement must be original and bear the wet signature of the insurance agent.
• The endorsement must be on ISO Form CG 2010 11 85***.
• Click here for a sample insurance form.
• For additional information on insurance documents, click here.
Please fill out the necessary form(s) and return to the Engineering counter at City Hall, 125 E College Street, Covina, CA 91723. Appropriate fees apply and must be paid prior to permit issuance.