SoCalGas Calls for Energy Conservation
SoCalGas is asking customers to take simple precautionary steps to conserve natural gas during the current cold weather in order to ensure supplies are sufficient to meet demand.
SoCalGas makes the following recommendations:
- Use extra blankets and sweaters to stay warm and lower your furnace thermostat by three to five degrees (health permitting). This can save up to 30 percent on heating costs.
- Limit use of non-essential gas appliances, fireplaces and spas.
- Reduce your water heating usage: use less hot water, turn down the water heater thermostat or insulate your water heater.
- For additional conservation tips, visit SoCalGas.com
SoCalGas also encourages customers to follow these important safety tips when heating their homes to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning:
- Never use your oven, range or outdoor grill to heat your home because these appliances are not designed for this purpose and can emit dangerous carbon monoxide
- Install a CO detector or change the batteries in your CO detectors.
Full News Release: View PDF