The Covina Theater is a beloved creative performing arts hub, situated in the heart of downtown Covina. Formerly known as the Covina Playhouse, the facility opened its doors in 1920 and since that time has unified friends and families by hosting a variety performances ranging from children’s recitals to professional bands. The facility is an important linkage from times past in the San Gabriel Valley, as it has persevered and prospered as a local entertainment destination, film house and performing arts space.
In December 2022, the City of Covina acquired the Theater to help preserve it as a space for the performing arts and a valuable anchor of the City’s downtown shopping district. The effort was greatly supported by Senator Susan Rubio and Assemblymember Blanca Rubio, who helped secure a $3 million grant to help the City with the acquisition.
Type of Events
The theater’s main operator is the Covina Laugh Factory, which hosts a variety of comedy shows each week. Details regarding tickets and scheduled shows for the Covina Laugh Factory can be found here: Laugh Factory Covina Tickets & Events
The theater is still available for other events and rental opportunities, and can be used for filming, banquets, weddings and other private events. Additionally, the City will continue to host other family-friendly shows and concerts throughout the year.
For inquiries or more information, please call (626) 384-5410.
The theater became a hot spot for many Covina youth when “The Candy Box” opened in the same building, just before Christmas 1921.
With the advent of color movies in the 1930s, the theater was remodeled and continued to bring entertainment to the City of Covina. The second floor of the theater was removed and the Masonic Lodge that had been there was closed to add more space for a larger balcony section. With the addition of sound to film, once again new renovations were made to the theater, and The Candy Box moved out. Business boomed and the theater thrived. In 1961, the theater’s marquee was added.
It wasn’t until 1984 that the building was used by a theatrical company, the West Covina Players. They moved into the theater after it had been dark for a year. In June 1993, the West Covina Players opened their season at their new location with the musical classic, “Fiddler on the Roof”, and transformed the old Covina Theater into the new Covina Valley Playhouse. They continued operating out of this facility until the closing production of Kander & Ebb’s “Cabaret”.
Beginning in 2004, renovation on the Covina Theater resumed again. Much of the former theater building and the original sign were torn down in 2005. The new Covina Center for the Performing Arts (CCPA) opened to the public in October 2007. This breathtaking facility has become the cultural hub of the San Gabriel Valley, and is quickly becoming a force in the Southern California theater scene. Operating under the Actors’ Equity Association’s 99 Seat Plan, the Covina Center for the Performing Arts produces upwards of a half dozen equity shows annually.